|DEPARTMENT OF ORAL AND MAXILLOFACIAL SURGERY
Oral and maxillofacial surgery is the main surgical speciality of dentistry concerned with diagnosis and treatment of broad range of diseases and disorders of the maxillofacial region. This department serves as a bridge between medicine and dentistry.
Our department offers both outpatient and inpatient care.
Outpatient care includes
- Extraction of teeth
- Surgical removal of unerupted impacted teeth
- Minor oral surgical procedures
- Periapical Cyst removal and apicectomies
- Pre prosthetic procedures
- Placement of dental implants
- 30 beds at TNGDC&H, chennai.
- 10 beds at RGGGH, chennai.
- We admit paediatric patients at Institute of Child health, Egmore, Chennai and ophthalmic associated maxillofacial trauma at Regional Institute of Ophthalmology, Egmore, Chennai
Core competencies and excellence
- Trauma of maxillofacial region
- Surgical pathology
- TMJ surgeries
- Orthognathic surgeries
- Distraction osteogenesis
- Cleft surgeries
- Surgical oncology
- Maxillofacial infections
- Orofacial pain
- Salivary gland pathologies
We pride ourselves in providing the best patient care and quality of surgical service as the STATE OF ART CENTER with the latest medical advancements like stereo lithography, TMJ arthroscopy, oral implantology.
Our department has the advantage of being attached to
- Rajiv Gandhi Government General hospital, Chennai.
- Government Omandurar super speciality hospital, Chennai.
- Institute of Child health, Egmore, Chennai.
- Regional Institute of Ophthalmology, Egmore, Chennai, and share the casualty, OT, PACU, CT, MRI.
We work in collaboration with other specialities such as neurosurgery, plastic surgery, ENT, ophthalmology, general surgery, anaesthesiology, radiology, surgical oncology as part of the multi disciplinary team to optimise the treatment and management of major conditions and diseases of the oral and maxillofacial region.
OP CENSUS / MONTH:
Extraction of Teeth: 7000 [on an average of 150-200 cases /day]
Impacted Teeth Removal: 300 [fracture of maxilla, mandible, Dentoalveolar segments, Zmc, orbit]
Minor Surgical Procedures: 550 [periapical surgery, cyst removal, preprosthetic surgeries, implantology]
MDS: 3 YEARS
POST GRADUATE SEATS: 6 / YEAR
Selected through NEET EXAM
- ALL INDIA QUOTA : 3
- STATE QUOTA : 3
Clinical and didactic education and training takes place at our department and the post graduates perform and assist more than 1000 surgical procedures in a year including trauma, surgical pathology, orthognathic surgeries, TMJ surgeries and Distraction, Dento alveolar surgeries, extraction of teeth, removal of impacted teeth. The curriculum is designed to allow residents to assimilate basic facts and apply it in their clinical practice with hands on experience.
CME AND WORKSHOPS ARE CONDUCTED ON REGULAR BASIS
PROF.DR.C.PRASAD MDS., heads the department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, who did his UG & PG at Tamilnadu Government Dental College And Hospital. He has worked at various Government medical colleges all over Tamilnadu including Coimbatore medical college and Government Stanley medical and hospital and has more than 20 years of experience in the field of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery. He has also been examiner for UG and PG student at various dental colleges and universities all over the country. He is an eminent teacher, active researcher, speaker and has many publications in national and international journals to add to his credit. His area of interest and expertise are Trauma & TMJ surgeries.
||Greata Pearl Appartments Flat No: 243, No: 2016, Choolaimedu High road, Chennai - 600094.
|Phone number :
||9841152570, 044- 23721527
|Mail ID :
||BDS - 1989, Madras Dental college. MDS ( Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery) - 1999, Tamil Nadu Government Dental college & Hospital, Chennai.
Teaching Experience :
- 1999 to 2009 : Asst. Professor, Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery, Tamil Nadu Government Dental college & Hospital, Chennai.
- October 2009 to November 2011: Professor - Government Coimbatore Medical College , Coimbatore.
- December 2011 to October 2015 : Professor - Government Stanley medical College, Chennai.
- November 2015 to May 2018 : Professor (OMFS), Tamil Nadu Government Dental college & Hospital, Chennai
- June 2018 till date - Professor & HOD (OMFS), TNGDC & H Total teaching experience 20 years.
Published papers in National & International Journals.
Conducted CME Programs and Live Surgical Workshops
His special interest and expertise in Tempromandibular surgery and trauma.