|DEPARTMENT OF ORAL AND MAXILLOFACIAL PATHOLOGY AND MICROBIOLOGY
The department of ORAL PATHOLOGY initially functioned as a composite department of ORAL MEDICINE and PATHOLOGYin the erst while DENTAL WING OF THE MADRAS MEDICAL COLLEGE AND GOVERNMENT GENERAL HOSPITAL (Re-christened as Rajiv Gandhi Government General Hospital), Chennai. The composite department was headed by Prof. Dr. K. Ramachandran, BSc, BDS, FDSRCS (England) with his team of faculty, notably, Dr. R. Viswanathan, Dr. B. BalajiRao, Dr. N. Gnanasundaram, Dr. Gopalakrishnan, Dr. T. R. Saraswathi, Dr. Vijayaraghavan, and others. The credit should go to this team of faculty for the initiation, preservation and maintenance of written pathology records, tissue blocks and glass slides since 1970 which serve as a rich treasure of educational resource archive. Prof. Dr. K. Ramachandran was instrumental in shaping the academic pathways of Dr. R. Viswanathan (MDS Oral Pathology from Nair Hospital Dental College, then Bombay, Maharashtra, India), Dr. N. Gnanasundaram (MDS Oral Medicine, Diagnosis and Radiology from Government Dental College, Bangalore, Karnataka, India), and Dr. T. R. Saraswathi (M.Sc (Oral Pathology, from Institute of Dental Surgery at Eastman Dental Hospital, London, United Kingdom).
The composite department of ORAL MEDICINE and PATHOLOGY branched out as distinct departments consequent to the acquisition of postgraduate qualification in MDS Oral Pathology and MDS Oral Medicine by Dr. R. Viswanathan and Dr. N. Gnanasundaram, respectively, The postgraduate course in MDS Oral Pathology was started in 1981 (the then Madras Dental College), with the admission of two in-service candidates, namely, Dr. Chandrabai, and Dr. T. Chandrasekar. The subsequent year had Dr. T. R. Saraswathi, and Dr. G. S. Kumar as MDS postgraduate students.It may be noted that Dr. T. R. Saraswathi had also acquired M.Sc Oral Pathology (prior to MDS) under the stewardship of Emeritus Professor Ivor Robert Horton Kramarwho was Professor of Oral Pathology and Dean and Director of Studies of the Institute of Dental Surgery at the Eastman Dental Hospital from 1970 to 1983. In addition, the postgraduate department has seen a number of faculties who headed the Department of Oral Pathology and Microbiology in the cadre of READER/PROFESSOR in the following order Dr. R. Viswanathan, Dr. T. R. Saraswathi, R. Viswanathan, Dr. Chandrabai, Dr. T. R. Saraswathi, and Dr. Shaheen Ahmed. Many successful oral pathologistswho work elsewhere were former MDS students of this department.
The department has both clinical pathologyand diagnostic oral and maxillofacial histopathology sections. In the latter section routine and special staining techniques are employed for the purpose of issuing pathology reports and imparting postgraduate training. The department also receives biopsies from various dental departments of the government-run medical colleges and private practitioners. About 600 to 700 histopathology cases are encountered annually and the patient records including clinical, radiologic, and advanced imaging are available in digital image formats from 2009 in most cases. The objective of the department is twofold; (i) to train BDS students in the subjects of TOOTH MORPHOLOGY, ORAL HISTOLOGY AND ORAL PATHOLOGY in the first, second and third year of course. (ii) to train MDS students in acquiring the requisite skills in practicing Diagnostic Oral Pathology and Research. The department provides extensive postgraduate training in clinical examination, grossing of tissue specimens and radiographic and histological interpretations of the surgical specimens that would enable them to apply relevant clinicopathologic correlations to help ensure accurate morphological diagnosis. The interns are trained to assistin grossing of tissue specimens and haematology. They are encouraged to examine patients in order to formulate a working differential diagnosis during their 15-days of posting. The department is also actively engaged in training the graduate and postgraduate students in academic writing. The list of publications is listed below.
Publication details of Dr. I. Ponniah, MDS
- Selvajothi P, Ponniah I,Kannan SKLP. Uterine cervical adenocarcinoma metastasis to oral cavity - A case report. J Oral MaxillofacSurg, Med, Pathol 2019;31:42-147. Available at :https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ajoms.2018.08.007.
- Ponniah I. Cartilage analogue of fibromatosis in the maxillary alveolar bone. J Maxillofac Oral Surg 2019;18:46-51. Available at : https://doi.org/10.1007/s12663-017-1070-3.
- Ponniah I. Intravascular papillary endothelial hyperplasia with pseudoepitheliomatoushyperpasia. Clin Case Rep Rev 2018; 4: https://doi.org/10.15761/CCRR.1000424.
- Selvam SP. Ponniah I. Expression of ameloblastin in the human tooth germ and ameloblastoma. Oral Dis 2018;24:1538-1544. Available at : https://doi.org/10.1111/odi.12934.
- Ponniah I, Kannan SKLP, Selvam SP. An incipient adenomatoid odontogenic tumor in a 5-year old girl. J Oral MaxillofacSurg Med Pathol 2018;30:569-575. Available at :https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ajoms.2018.06.006.
- Sharief RM, Ponnniah I. Expression of cytokeratin 14, cytokeratin 19 and E-Cadherin in ameloblastoma correlates with the cytodifferentiation of enamel organ. J Oral MaxillofacSurg Med Pathol 2018;30:371-379. Available at: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ajoms.2017.12.003.
- Arya AN, Saravanan B, Subalakshmi K, Appadurai R, Ponniah I. Aggressive Fibromatosis of the mandible in a two-month old infant. J Maxillofac Oral Surg 2015;14(S1):235-239. Available at : http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s12663-012-0460-9.
- Bakyalakshmi K, Bharathi R, Ponniah I. A regressing and metastazing tumor - the choriocarcinoma. J Oral MaxillofacSurg 2013;71:214-219. Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.joms.2012.03.032
- Ponniah I. Plagiarism and scientific writing: a personal commentary. J Invest Clin Dent 2012;3:304-306. Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.2041-1626.2011.00099.x
- Ponniah I, Sethurajan SB, Rajiah D. A multilocular radiolucency with spindle cell proliferation in a case of ossifying fibroma: a potential pitfall. DentomaxillofacRadiol 2012;41:605-608. Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.1259/dmfr/28249452
- Ponniah I, Rajan S. PlasmablasticExtramedullaryPlasmacytoma. Indian J PatholMicrobiol 2012;55:104-106. Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.4103/0377-4929.94874
- Gnanadeepam S. Ponniah I. Ossifying fibroma with cystic degeneration. A case report. Oral MaxillofacSurg 2012;16:101-105. Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s10006-011-0264-y
- Vani NV, Ponniah I. The frequency and distribution pattern of minor salivary gland tumors in a government dental teaching hospital, Chennai, India. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral RadiolEndod 2011;111:e32-39. Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.tripleo.2010.08.019
- Ponniah I. Recurrent unicysticameloblastoma in a child. J Oral MaxillofacPathol 2011;15:236-238. Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.4103/0973-029X.84513
- Ponniah I. To the editor's and author's. J Maxillofac Oral Surg 2011;10:4-5. Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s12663-011-0193-1.
- Ponniah I. Comment on: A report on case reports. J Conserv Dent 2011;14:325. Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.4103/0972-0707.85828.
- Ponniah I. Are citations required for a biomedical review article? Indian J Dent Res 2011;22:175-176. Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.4103/0970-9290.79996.
- Arunaa S, Ponniah I. Distribution pattern of the adenomatoid odontogenic tumor: a retrospective study from the files of a government teaching hospital, Tamil Nadu, Chennai, India. J Invest Clin Dent 2010;1:23-28. Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.2041-1626.2010.00010.x.
- Gupta B, Ponniah I. The pattern of odontogenic tumors in a government teaching hospital in the southern Indian state of Tamil Nadu. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral RadiolEndod 2010;110:e32-39. Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.tripleo.2010.02.035.
- Ponniah I. Why tooth carving? Indian J Dent Res 2010;21:463. Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.4103/0970-9290.7078314.
- Thillaikarasi R, Balaji J, Gupta B, Ilayaraja V, Vani NV, Vidula B, Saravanan B, Ponniah I. Cystic granular cell ameloblastoma. J Maxillofac Oral Surg 2010;9:310-313. Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s12663-010-0083-y
- Suhanya J, Aggarwal C, Mohideen K, Jayachandran S, Ponniah I. Cherubism combined with epilepsy, mental retardation and gingival fibromatosis (Ramon syndrome): a case report. Head Neck Pathol 2010;4;126-131. Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s12105-009-0155-9
- Ponniah I, SureshKumar P, Karunakaran K. Clear cell carcinoma of minor salivary gland--case report. Ann Acad Med Singapore. 2007;36:857-60.
- Ponniah I, MuraliGopikaManoharan GV, SureshKumar P, Karthikeyan K. How to name it: a rare case of odontogenic cyst. J Oral Pathol Med. 2007;36:563-9. Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-0714.2007.00545.x
- Ponniah I, Lavanya N, SureshKumar P. Island of salivary gland in adipose tissue: a report of three cases. J Oral Pathol Med. 2007;36:558-62. Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-0714.2007.00544.x
- Ponniah I. A rare case of sialadenomapapilliferum with epithelial dysplasia and carcinoma in situ. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral RadiolEndod. 2007;104:e27-e9. Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.tripleo.2006.06.053
- Ponniah I, SureshKumar P, Karunakaran K, Shankar KA, Kumaran MG, Preeti LN. Hemangioma in minor salivary glands: real or illusion. DiagnPathol. 2006;1:21. Available at: http://dx.doi.org/doi:10.1186/1746-1596-1-21
- Ponniah I, Murali GM, SureshKumar P, Kumaran MG, Shaheen A. Salivary duct carcinoma of the palate. Indian J Dent Res. 2005;16:167-70. Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.4103/0970-9290.29902
- Ponniah I, Shaheen A, Shankar KA, Kumaran MG. Wegener's granulomatosis: the current understanding. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral RadiolEndod. 2005 Sep;100:265-70. Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.tripleo.2005.04.018
Publication details of Dr. S. Kuzhali, MDS, Assistant Professor
- Manoharan GVMG, Saravanan B, Kuzhali S. Giant Sialoliths in the parotid duct-a case report. Int J Dent Case Reports 2013;3:118-28.
Publication details of Dr. S. P. SelvajothiRanjitham, MDS, Assistant Professor
- Selvajothi P, Ponniah I, PiramanayagamKannan SKL. Uterine cervical adeno carcinoma metastasis to oral cavity - A case report. J Oral MaxillofacSurg Med Pathol 2019; 31:142-7.
- Selvajothi P, Gnanadeepam S, Bharathi R, Sumathy MP. A case report of recurrent peripheral ameloblastoma of anterior mandible University Journal of Surgery and Surgical Specialities 2018;4.
- Selvajothi P, Lavanya C, Joshua E, Rao UK, Ranganathan K. Awareness of Forensic Odontology among Legal Professionals, Chennai, India. North Am J Med Sci 2014; 6:
Publication details of Dr. J. Dhana Lakshmi, MDS, Assistant Professor
- Jeyasivanesan DL, Mohamed SP, Pandiar D. Soft - Tissue Chondroma of Anterior Gingiva: A Rare Entity. Case Rep Dent 2018;2018:3642827.
- Basheer S, Gopinath D, Shameena PM, Sudha S, Lakshmi JD, Litha. Correlation of lip patterns, gender, and blood group in North Kerala population: A study of over 800 individuals. J Forensic Dent Sci 2017;9:73-7.
- Sudha S, Gopinath D, Shameena PM, Dhanalakshmi J. Numb chin syndrome associated with metastatic invasive ductal carcinoma of breast. J Oral MaxillofacPathol2015;19:239-41.
- Pandiar D, Basheer S, Shameena PM, Sudha S, Dhana LJ. Amelanotic melanoma masquerading as a granular cell lesion.Case Rep Dent 2013;2013:924573.
- Dhanalakshmi J, Shameena PM, Sudha S, Nair RG, Varma S. Red tooth powder -A boon or to ban. Kerala Dental Journal 2012;35:183-4.
- Shameena PM, DhanaLakshmi J, Sudha S. Safety and first aid in laboratory. Oral and maxillofacial pathology journal 2010;1:59-62.
Publication details of Dr. V. Shanthi, MDS, Assistant Professor
- Viswanathan S, Viswanathan S. Physical Injury to Oral Mucosa Following Ingestion of Large Number of Tablets. Indian J Stomatol 2013;4:103-5.
- Nagaraj V, Sashykumar S, Viswanathan S, Kumar S. Multiple oral ulcers leading to diagnosis of pulmonary tuberculosis. Eur J Dent. 2013 ;7:243-5.
- Viswanathan S, Nagaraj V, Adimoulame S, Kumar S, Khemaria G. Dens Evaginatus in Proximal Surface of Mandibular Premolar: A Rare Presentation.Case Rep Dent. 2012;2012:603583.
- Viswanathan S, Viswanathan S, Iqbal N, Shanmugam V, Srinath G. Odynophagia following retained bee stinger. J Venom Anim Toxins Incl Trop Dis 2012; 18:253-255.
- Santhosh MSR, Viswanathan S, Kumar S. The bee sting related Wolff- Parkinson- White syndrome.J ClinDiagn Res. 2012 ; 6: 1541-43 .